When I came up to work the cash register today, my coworker told me that there was a mountain lion trapped in downtown Santa Cruz. By the time that shift ended, my 'career' as a bookseller, for lack of a better term, was over.
The mountain lion was not actually in downtown Santa Cruz, it was in an aqueduct some distance away. I used to walk over that aqueduct every day in a former life, and remember it chiefly for the wild ducks that frequented it.
In the time immediately after this announcement, I got into a lot of nice interactions with people and one exceedingly bad one, where a woman wanted to forego the now mandatory by city ordinance paper bag fee (one dime) because she was a regular customer who spent four hundred dollars a year there. Frankly, flaunting your money is the thing least likely to move me as a lowly salesclerk, but there you go. Of course this is the kind of person who would rather call and complain than pay a dime for a bag, so that's exactly what she did. My employer demanded to have an account of the conversation. I refused. That is pretty much where my longstanding relationship with this bookstore and independent bookstores in general ended. Live long and prosper if you can, but not with my support.
I was going to say that I'm sorry to authors everywhere that I will no longer be able to support their books there, but really, I have no compunction at all now about supporting them on Amazon and by any other means I can, which will be, if not better, at least equally helpful.


0 Yorumlar